Band Saw Build

A while ago I bought an old Rockwell Delta Homecraft bandsaw for around $70.00 Cad. The saw came with a motor and a stand but wouldn’t fit in my car for the trip back to Ottawa. Given that the stand it was on was a bit ropy and I really didn’t have an option I left it behind and taking all the parts leaving the stand behind. At home I planned on building a replacement but had a few other projects on the go so this one got left on the back burner. Cut to needed to cut out some saw handles and getting the bandsaw up and running became a priority.

So here is the project. I used old 2×4 (still working though the pile) from the basement. I wanted something on wheels so I could push the saw out of the way when I wasn’t using it like the ShopFox system I have at work. Fortunately a local business was throwing out some rolling shelves and left the casters on them so one evening visit with a wrench and my batter operated drill later I had a set of 4 industrial casters to use. Actually I got the casters a while ago so this was the perfect time to use them.

The build is overkill for the saw but I wanted something that was study enough to absorb the vibration as some of stands the bandsaws at work are on really vibrate with the tool even with the expensive linked belts. I also wanted to try my hand at cutting haunched tenons and this gave me 8 separate joints to cut properly, or at least try to cut properly. Practice practice practice.

Anyway, the stand came together and got finished off with a couple coats of varnish. I used up the last of my can as I’ve been trying to move towards products with lower toxicity profiles for use in the house. Next I drilled out the slot for the belts and after some cleaning with a chisel finished drilling the holes for the bolts. The saw went on the stand smoothly enough but the motor was a pain of a job.

First was fitting the motor on the stand with the vibration pad. This worked but meant the holed on the bottom needed to be deeper to allow for the washers and lock right. So off came everything and using a predrilled template wider and deeper holes drilled to accommodate the washers. Then back on everything went. Finally the motor was seated, the belt installed and the wiring done.

Flip the switch and the saw ran backwards.

Then came the cussing and a dive into wiring diagrams and some rather old motor design sites to figure out just how screwed I was. Turns out not that bad. After swapping out a set of secondary wired to the opposite poles, reassembling the cleaned motor, and flipping the switch the saw ran the right way. Big sigh of relief.

Next can cleaning of the blade guides. Stripped everything down and cleaned all the small parts first with Evapo Rust and then lubricated the necessary parts before assembling everything with a new blade. Saw runs like a charm. Will need at some point to change out the tires but right now they run smooth and I’m not using the saw enough yet to justify the expense. Overall happy with the project and the tool. Need it now to resaw the wood I’m going to use for the draws of my saw till but that is another project.

Here is the manual for the saw for those looking. Homecraft 10″ Delta Bandsaw